Beautiful Vintage Stingray Spines
Set of 2
5" to 5.25"
• The ray's flat body is designed to allow them to dig in and hide from predators on sandy sea bottoms.
• Rays inhabit coastal waters including estuaries, lagoons and have been known to tolerate low salinity allowing them to flourish in freshwater rivers.
• There are approximately 70 species in the world.
• The serrated venomous tail spine is actually a "modified scale" known as "dermal denticles"
on sharks, rays and the teeth of a sword fish.
• The barb is a unique weapon as not only can it "stick" an attacker but also can transmit a venom from its mucus coating.
• They sting only as a defense mechanism.
• Stingrays shed and replace their caudal tail spines...some on a yearly basis.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to have a set of 2 specimen spines.
They will measure between 5" and 5.25".
You will receive barbs similar to photograph.
We have painstakingly measured and categorized thousands of barbs and offer a variety of assortments.
These are a byproduct of the fishing industry in Bangladesh. Harvested in 1980.
• Professionally Cleaned
• Not Poisonous
• Very Sharp